Saturday, February 25, 2006

Billiards and life

Editorial
Den Tenksomme Vraslosken

I went out people watching yesterday. At a family pub I took notice of a father and a son, the boy was playing billiards with his dad coaching him. The boy couldn‘t have been more than ten years old, but clearly had a special talent. He won every single game, playing grown men who couldn`t hide their embarrassment having to shake hands and admit defeat. He struck the balls down one after the other as if it was the most natural thing in the world.

His dad was left proud and somewhat loud, as parents seem to be in that situation. Occasionally the boy looked towards his dad for advice; his dad would nod and offer directions.

Billiards is a fascinating game, and very much like life. Most of us miss the obvious shot now and again, shrugging our heads unable to understand how we managed to miscue the ball. Then we tell ourselves we are simply subject to laws of physics. But now and again something truly amazing happens, and we pocket a ball on a shot we didn‘t really believe in. I like it that way.

On my way home I told myself I might have seen the next Stephen Hendry, Ken Doherty or John Higgins, all of them legendary snooker players. Maybe I have. Maybe I haven`t. Either way, I‘m glad I went.

1 Comments:

Blogger Grillski said...

En av mine ekser bygde et biljardbord i fullsize. Ikke et sånn lite pysete et, men et som nesten var like stort som en fotballbane. Det var ganske imponerende. Når jeg tenker meg om, var det eneste imponerende ved han.

4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home